Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, August 30, 2014

My Breastfeeding Journey with Baby Orange - Breastfeeding Tools

Initially I was going to combine the breast pump and accessories post. But it got too long so I split into two. The breast pump portion is here.

Some of these became necessary tools for me to continue our breastfeeding journey. I use both feeding bottles and breastmilk storage bottles for Baby Orange. Otherwise, it would be difficult to continue breastfeeding if another caregiver is not able to feed Baby Orange when I'm not around.

Breast milk storage bags and bottles

First, I used Pureen storage bottles. Then I keep running out of bottles and buying new ones. I think we bought up to 3 sets of Pureen storage bottle before adding on milk storage bags. They were about RM24 or RM25 for a pack of 6 bottles. Each bottle can only take 4 oz or 125 ml. Papa threw away the packaging so I couldn't take a photo, but the bottles will appear in my monthly update of Baby Orange as can seen from my freezer storage. Those plain bottles with blue or cream coloured caps are the Pureen storage bottles. Actually these storage bottles indirectly boosted my confidence when my EBM quantity is small, as it didn't put pressure on me :)
Autumnz breast milk storage bags, bought from Twins Baby shop.

The breastmilk storage bags that I find good and durable is Autumnz Milk Storage Bags. They come in 7 oz and 12 oz. I personally prefer the 7 oz bags, easier to defrost. I only put in less than the recommended amount as afraid of bursting the storage bags. Wasted effort if it leaked you know.

Malish breast milk bags - sorry, didn't like it.

I also tried another brand called Malish. Price is about the same as Autumnz. But the Malish breast milk storage bags that I got weren't reliable; some would leak and some would be ok. It's frustrating as it would leak while defrosting, and not when I pour in the EBM.

Medela Breastmilk Collection Shells

Keeps mommy dry when direct latch or pumping especially when there is a lot of milk leakage. I actually kept the collected milk for future feeding. In the early stages I could collect up to 10 ml especially during early morning feeds around 5am. Later on, only a small amount, but I still collect and store :P
Medela milk collection shells

I wash the shells clean with soap and soak in hot water, then wipe dry. It's easier to clean by taking apart the shell and the soft part.

Pureen Liquid Cleanser for Feeding Bottles

Those who breastfeed will know that EBM is quite oily. The milk stains are quite difficult to remove. Therefore we have been using Pureen Liquid Cleanser for feeding bottles since starting to use bottles at home. We use it to wash the breastpump too. Of course, after washing, still have to soak in very hot water. Actually I did not boil the bottles and pump this time. I think the boiling spoils the rubber parts of the pump faster. So far no problem with just soaking in hot water.
Unwashed bottle which held breastmilk.
See how oily? That's why need to use liquid cleanser for feeding bottles.

In summary, it is not cheap and it takes a lot of effort from the whole family (including caregivers) to continue breastfeeding nowadays. For us, the benefits of breastfeeding is not about cost or ease, it is only for the health of Baby Orange. Hope all the children will appreciate the efforts we took to give them a good start in life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information about breast journey of mothers. As a new mother learning the ropes of motherhood, pumping breast milk can feel like a challenge you were not prepared for. We will understand Breast Pumping and how to approach it the right way for happy mothers and healthy babies. If you are a busy mum and looking for the best breast pumping bras online, visit now on Lovemere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...